Why Support Joe?
Joe has earned the public's support by:
- Providing experienced, humble, and values driven leadership.
- Focusing on making a meaningful difference in the lives of others.
- Committing to public safety, public service, and public trust.
- Ensuring accountability, transparency, and accessibility.
These are Joe's key initiatives and accomplishments over the last four years:
Creating community partnerships:
- Priority Automotive and Tidewater Community College: providing a one of a kind work release / vocational education program – training inmate’s automotive mechanic skills. The program is certificate based and leads all graduates to full time employment in the automotive industry.
- Calvary Revival Church and the House of Esther: providing virtual GED training to maintain this education opportunity throughout the pandemic
- Family Justice Center: to create “Camp Hope” an evidence based, trauma informed camp and mentoring program for youth adversely impacted by domestic violence and other trauma in their lives.
- City of Norfolk and local businesses – created Norfolk first Senior Support Services Seminar connecting over 1,500 senior citizens to community based resources
- Girl Scouts of Colonial Coast – creating summer camps for Norfolk Youth
- Life Enrichment Center – tutoring Norfolk Youth in reading skills
- TCC – job skills training
- EVMS – Health and mental counseling
- Special Achievements
- Virginia Sheriff’s Institute Certification
- Member of the Norfolk Criminal Justice Board
- Regional X representative on the Virginia Sheriff’s Association
- Legislative Committee member on the Virginia Sheriff’s Association
- Opioid Abatement Authority Board member
- Regional Chair for Special Olympics Virginia
- Scheduled to be the State Chair for Special Olympic in 2023
Supporting the Norfolk Sheriff's Office staff:
- Increased retirement multiplier (1.7 to 1.85)
- Created employee college tuition program
- Advocated for better pay with the city which has resulted in increased salaries and added to the public safety pay plan
- Universal leadership training
- Crisis Intervention Training (CIT) – to effectively manage and recognize the mentally ill in our custody
- Narcan training – to effectively respond to opioid overdoses
- Personally deliver certificates of personnel achievements
Encouraging the inmates in the Norfolk City Jail:
- Grant program for co-disorders of substance abuse and mental health
- Expanded all GED training operations: Highest GED Passing Rate!
- Self-study program
- NPS – in house training
- Virtual training
- First in the Region offering Medicine Assisted Treatment for Opioid Addiction. (Vivitrol)
- First in the region with “2nd Chances Fatherhood Program” allowing Inmates to continue to Co-Parent their Children while in our care.
- Partnership with TCC where Inmates Participate in the Workforce Development “Job Skills Training Program” (JSTP)
- Partnership with Eastern Virginia Medical School providing Health and Mental Counseling to Female Inmates